Real Whanganui supports taiohi in the rohe to build life skills, resilience and strong connections with whānau, friends and communities through our Whetū Marewa service.
Whetū Marewa aims to build confidence, resilience and wellbeing in taiohi (young people), aged 12 to 24-years-old, who are living with mild to moderate mental health and addiction-related issues and social stressors.
The mobile service has an outreach approach, providing support from registered health professionals and youth workers in schools and the community, and offering access to a range of supported interventions when needed.
- Works with schools and community agencies to identify young people who would benefit from psychological interventions
- Builds awareness of mental health concerns, contributions and early signs of illness
- Provides education and information on mental health and wellbeing for taiohi
- Works directly with taiohi, along with their whānau and peers, to build resilience and increase wellbeing.
- Flexible and tailored to the needs.
- Delivered in spaces and ways that are comfortable and appropriate for taiohi.
Support to taiohi is provided using a positive youth development model of care which employs brief interventions such as:
- Talking therapies (cognitive behavioural therapy, motivational therapy, acceptance and commitment therapy)
- Youth coaching and mentoring
- Kaupapa Māori cultural interventions including a focus on positive cultural identity, kapa haka, waiata, whakapapa and whānau ora
- A range of recreational and cultural activities to engage taiohi and help them to build skills and confidence, establish community connections and healthy, wellbeing-focused lifestyle choices.
Whetū Marewa, which means ‘rising stars’ in te reo, is a reference to the taiohi the service will support and the potential they have to lead healthy and happy lives.
How to get Real
Please contact our Real team to connect with our team coach or to ask any questions you may have. If you’re concerned about someone, we can provide next steps and options to help.
Contact our team
Phone – 06 348 8198 / 027 204 1725
Email – email@example.com
Address – 7 Park Place, Whanganui
Postal address – PO Box 586, Whanganui 4540